Monday, April 15, 2019

Whole Home Generator

Tomorrow!

Tomorrow Ronco comes to install our whole home generator. It's a 16 KW Generac running on natural gas. Our house has several natural gas appliances, so electricity is really only needed for the AC, dryer (which could be unused in emergencies) and lower power applications (lights, fridge/freezer, wall outlets).  I suspect the toaster/oven is the biggest draw after AC/dryer.  Anyway, when Ronco did the energy evaluation they came to 15.9 KW needed and that was with a 4 ton AC, we actually only have a 3 ton unit, so we should come in well below the 16 KW.

We have gas water heater, furnace and oven, so I'm hoping that we won't need an upgrade to our gas meter and all of the installation can go smoothly. I won't know until Ronco's Gas Contractor tells me.

If we need an upgraded meter then I'll have to call City of Milton and get them to come out and install that. Ronco says they (Gas Company) won't charge me for the 2 pound meter, but I have my doubts that anybody does anything for free. If that has to be done it will be some days before City of Milton gets done and the install gets completed.

Then Ronco will have to get the job inspected for gas and electricity, and that might take a week or more. Ronco says I can't ask for the inspections, they have to ask for the inspection once they're finished installing and then tell me when it is done, passed and posted.

Then they come out turn on the system and bill me.

I'm thinking end of April before this is all finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment